6 Now Noah was six hundred years old when the flood of water came upon the earth. 7 Then Noah and his sons and his wife and his sons’ wives with him entered the ark because of the water of the flood. 8 Of clean animals and animals that are not clean and birds and everything that creeps on the ground, 9 there went into the ark to Noah by twos, male and female, as God had commanded Noah. 10 It came about after the seven days, that the water of the flood came upon the earth. 11 In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on the same day all the fountains of the great deep burst open, and the floodgates of the sky were opened. 12 The rain fell upon the earth for forty days and forty nights.
First off, I just spent the better part of an hour practicing a song last night that goes:
let it rain, let it rain, open the floodgates of heaven, let it rain.
So, I think it is funny to be at this verse today. I know last night we were singing of a spiritual floodgate. Today it is the physical water floodgate. I have some appreciation for the writer of that song.
I think it is interesting that it is written how many year, months, and days Noah is old when the water came on the earth. How specific! Time is important to God, even if He lives outside of it.
I can also remember thinking as a little kid how 40 days of rain flooded the whole earth. I mean, it has rained for many days in a row since then, but it didn't seem conceivable to me that only rain would produce such a large scale flood. I wasn't cynical in the thought at all, just trying to figure it all out. I should have read closer. The fountains of the deep were opened AND it rained for 40 days and nights. See, they leave those fountains out of the Bible School songs. It is good to read it for ourselves. God has lots to teach us.
Love y'all!
Lord, please let Your word saturate our hearts that we might know You and what You desire from us. Please help us to discern it well, and apply it to our lives. Help us to remember as we study the old covenant, that there is a new covenant coming!
No comments:
Post a Comment