9 Enosh lived ninety years, and became the father of Kenan. 10 Then Enosh lived eight hundred and fifteen years after he became the father of Kenan, and he had other sons and daughters. 11 So all the days of Enosh were nine hundred and five years, and he died.
12 Kenan lived seventy years, and became the father of Mahalalel. 13 Then Kenan lived eight hundred and forty years after he became the father of Mahalalel, and he had other sons and daughters. 14 So all the days of Kenan were nine hundred and ten years, and he died.
15 Mahalalel lived sixty-five years, and became the father of Jared. 16 Then Mahalalel lived eight hundred and thirty years after he became the father of Jared, and he had other sons and daughters. 17 So all the days of Mahalalel were eight hundred and ninety-five years, and he died.
18 Jared lived one hundred and sixty-two years, and became the father of Enoch. 19 Then Jared lived eight hundred years after he became the father of Enoch, and he had other sons and daughters. 20 So all the days of Jared were nine hundred and sixty-two years, and he died.
Now, I haven't developed my friend's love for the begats yet, but I have a feeling before we get out of the Old Testament I will at least develop a reasonable toleration of them.
I would like this better with a pen and paper where I could write out who belongs to who. I might try that in the morning with pen and paper are within arms reach.
What strikes me is that people lived 900 years, they only name the oldest in the family, and it is kind of poetic. I don't know if y'all have ever seen an ancestry chart, but at least this is easier to understand than one of those! I also do not understand how here men lived more than a hundred years before they had their first child, but when we get around to Abraham and Sara 100 was old to have kids. It has been a while since I have read the story of Abraham straight from the Bible. Can't wait to get there!
I know that every generation was important and the listing of them is important. I just don't have much deep spiritual insight into them. Important and valuable because they are part of scripture, no deep revelation about them.
(added info: My Bible friend suggests that we look for who "walked with God" and who did not. I will be more conscious of that as I do the next run of begats.)
Thank You Lord for preserving Your word, for preserving the people of Isreal, for making a way for redemption. Thank You for providing Your word for us to seek You through. Please give us a desire to know You more fully and please You more completely through our obedience to Your Spirit.
In Jesus Name
Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment