Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Genesis 6:9-22

These are the records of the generations of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his time; Noah walked with God. 10 Noah became the father of three sons: Shem, Ham, and Japheth.
11 Now the earth was corrupt in the sight of God, and the earth was filled with violence. 12 God looked on the earth, and behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted their way upon the earth.
 
 
This was too much to do all at once.  so I will do it this way.  First - I think it is interesting to note that in all the other begats it would read one did or did not walk with God.  For Noah - it says he was righteous and blameless and he walked with God.  Obviously, he was special.
 
I also think it is interesting just how many times corrupt was used in one sentence.  That must mean it is important to understand, and it was very corrupt.  Also, I find it funny (not ha ha funny) that one of the reasons God wanted to destroy the earth's inhabitants was not just corruption, but also violence.  I find much of the old testament violent to be honest.  But, God must have a constructive violence, or a purpose to His violence that doesn't occur in this type of violence that made him grieve even creating men in the first place.  Interesting.
 
 
13 Then God said to Noah, “The end of all flesh has come before Me; for the earth is filled with violence because of them; and behold, I am about to destroy them with the earth.
 
Here God says that He is about to destroy man with the earth.  We know that He destroyed the face of the earth, but not the actual planet.  Just a note.
 
14 Make for yourself an ark of gopher wood; you shall make the ark with rooms, and shall cover it inside and out with pitch. 15 This is how you shall make it: the length of the ark three hundred cubits, its breadth fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits. 16 You shall make a window for the ark, and finish it to a cubit from the top; and set the door of the ark in the side of it; you shall make it with lower, second, and third decks.
 
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the details of God.  I don't know if God has ever required anything of any of you all before, but He has me.  I am always in awe that He would ask me and I beg for clarity.  I LOVE that if God wants us to get the details right, He gives them to us!  I would have been scurrying around for a pen, panicked saying "wait!  how many cubits?  Where do You want the window?"  I beg for this kind of detail when I feel like God is leading me.  When He requires, He provides what we need to do the job. 
 
17 Behold, I, even I am bringing the flood of water upon the earth, to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life, from under heaven; everything that is on the earth shall perish. 18 But I will establish My covenant with you; and you shall enter the ark—you and your sons and your wife, and your sons’ wives with you. 19 And of every living thing of all flesh, you shall bring two of every kind into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they shall be male and female. 20 Of the birds after their kind, and of the animals after their kind, of every creeping thing of the ground after its kind, two of every kind will come to you to keep them alive. 21 As for you, take for yourself some of all food which is edible, and gather it to yourself; and it shall be for food for you and for them.” 22 Thus Noah did; according to all that God had commanded him, so he did.
 
I wonder if Noah's wife ever complained that while the people around her seemed to have a list of sons, she only had three.  I wonder if that was God providing Noah a family that would fit into the boat? 
 
I will tell you that my small mind cannot imagine a zoo in a boat for such a long time.  My mind wants to see this recreated to scale.  I'm sure there is one out there, but I haven't seen it yet.  I want to get my mind around it. 
 
God is good, even in the destruction of the evil on the earth.  His mercy is already evident.  Lord, how much more the evil must be in this day.  Please Lord, forgive us.  Help Your people to reach the rest.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment