Friday, May 2, 2014

Genesis 5:18-27

18 Jared lived one hundred and sixty-two years, and became the father of Enoch.
19 Then Jared lived eight hundred years after he became the father of Enoch, and he had other sons and daughters.

20 So all the days of Jared were nine hundred and sixty-two years, and he died.
21 Enoch lived sixty-five years, and became the father of Methuselah.
22 Then Enoch walked with God three hundred years after he became the father of Methuselah, and he had other sons and daughters.
23 So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years. 24 Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him.
25 Methuselah lived one hundred and eighty-seven years, and became the father of Lamech.
26 Then Methuselah lived seven hundred and eighty-two years after he became the father of Lamech, and he had other sons and daughters.
27 So all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred and sixty-nine years, and he died.
 
So, a very Godly lady reminded me some of the reasons for the begats.  For one thing, they give us a very clear timeline from Adam to Noah.  They establish the generations.   Thank You LaDonna for always being able to give me sound Biblical guidance.  Also, she said to take time to see who it says walked with God and who it doesn't.  Interesting to note
 
Now, these begats ARE cool!  Here you have Enoch.  If you ever did Bible drills in Sunday School, you always won points for knowing that Enoch did not die.  What I didn't realize until now, or realized and forgot, was that Enoch was the father of Methuselah.  Methuselah, another Bible drill question, was the oldest man.  If I am doing my math right that makes him 959years old.  Just trivia, but cool trivia.  (I was corrected, he was 969 years old)
 
We are working our way to Noah.  I am still intrigued by Enoch who walked with God and was not because God took him.  Wow, there must be SOME story there.  I will enjoy hearing that one when I get to heaven.  I wonder if it was because he was so precious or because he was just that close to God.  I wonder what made him different.  Just the wonders. 
 
Lord, please allow Your word to seep into our hearts and teach us Your character, teach us who You want us to become, and cause us to worship You on a deep, deep level. 
 
In Jesus Name
Amen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment