Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Genesis 6:1-8

The Corruption of Mankind
Now it came about, when men began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose. Then the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.” The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.
Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. The LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. The LORD said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am sorry that I have made them.” But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD.
 
 
There is a lot of information in this little 8 verse paragraph! 
 
Just for the record, I am very frustrated with windows 8 this morning.  Just had a whole paragraph accidentally get deleted!  So, I start again.
 
I have heard a theory or two about the sons of God and the daughters of men.  I don't know how much Biblical backing they have so I will leave that.  If one of my well studied friends wants to shed light, that would be great!  I find these first few verses intriguing.  The Nephilim are an interesting concept.  What were they exactly?  I will enjoy learning this in heaven.
 
I wasn't even there and I feel bad that man grieved God so completely.  I have to wonder if God doesn't sometimes want to forget his "never flood the earth again" promise.  I imagine that the evil that man does now a days is probably worse than in Noah's time.  I am also glad that God is a better promise keeper than we are.  Man grieved God so completely that not only did He want to wipe man out, He wanted to wipe out everything he had created on the earth!  I wonder if that was because the rest was made for man, to keep man, to feed man, to give man something to enjoy?  Just a thought.
 
Now, this next thing is super spiritual!  Get your Bible ready!
 
Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord, Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord, Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord!
 
Everyone who has ever been a Sunday school or Bible school teacher - I remember that from when I was 4!  Can't remember the rest of the song, but I sure did learn that Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord! 
 
(thanks for the answer:  He landed high and dry!)
 
Even when it looks like sin is going to win, there is hope

No comments:

Post a Comment