Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Genesis 3:8-11

They heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden. Then the LORD God called to the man, and said to him, “Where are you?” 10 He said, “I heard the sound of You in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid myself.” 11 And He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?” 12 The man said, “The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me from the tree, and I ate.” 13 Then the LORD God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?” And the woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”

I couldn't find this in the archives, so I am redoing it today.

This probably isn't supposed to be funny, but it totally is!  Well, for anyone who has kids, it is so familiar that it is funny!

Have you ever caught your kid red-handed.  I mean, it has to be while they are young enough to still think you don't already know what happened before you start asking them questions. 

When Lindsay was 4 years old, she wanted a piece of birthday cake before dinner.  We said no.  Imagine that.   So, we went along making dinner and talking amongst the adults, setting the table and whatever.  Jim thought to go look for her.  She was hiding.  Hmmm.   So, after a few minutes Jim finds her behind the couch, with red icing all over her nose.  So, he asks her - "Did you eat a piece of cake after I asked you not to?"  And she replies, "nope".   She had no idea that her face gave her away.

How like this are Adam and Eve.  They sin, then they hide.  They didn't lie, but they did play the blame game.  That isn't any less funny if you have more than one kid.  "That girl YOU gave me told me to eat it"
"HE lied to me". 

Since this is the first sin, I use it to highlight the sin in other areas of my life or my children's lives by making the parallel clear.  If you want to blame someone else, it's probably sin.  If you want to hide to do it, unless it's a surprise party, it is probably sin.

Not super spiritual, but definitely helpful for life.

Lord, help us to see sin as sin immediately so we can flee from the temptation.  Please help us to run TO You to ask forgiveness instead of trying to hide it or blame it on someone else.  Help us to accept responsibility for our own behavior, then accept the grace that came because really Jesus is accepting the blame for sin He did not commit.  Thank You for Jesus who covered our sin, and made a way for us to come back to relationship that we can talk to You through the day again. 

In Jesus name
amen

No comments:

Post a Comment