Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said to the woman, "Indeed, has God said, 'You shall not eat from any tree of the garden'?"
The woman said to the serpent, "From the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat;
but from the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God has said, 'You shall not eat from it or touch it, or you will die.'"
The serpent said to the woman, "You surely will not die!
"For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."
Did the animals talk before the fall, other than the serpent? No one seems surprised by this serpent talking?
That was just a sidenote.
What really strikes me is how satan has not changed tactics, just venue. Have you ever sat back and listened to a kid try to talk another kid into doing something? It sounds just like this.
"Your mother doesn't know what she's talking about, of course we won't get hurt by doing .. . . . . She just doesn't want you to have any fun."
I think that is why it irritates me so much for someone to try to manipulate me or someone I love. Sounds too much like the conversation in the garden. When I feel like I might be being manipulated or purposefully turned to a person's conception of what is right, I just want to run full speed in the other direction.
And, later on in the Bible we will hear plain out that satan is a liar. Pretty clear here. Not to Eve, but to us. Hindsight is 20/20. I used to get mad when I was little that these mighty men/women of God messed up so big, didn't they know who God was? Now, I see how it's more complicated, but my 5 year old mind could not understand how they wouldn't obey God first, he was God.
Temptation, always around til satan is not. Lord, help us to see temptation for what it is and remind us that You will give us a way out. Please help us to take the way out and remain as close to You as we can. In Jesus name, and thank You for making that way for us to have relationship with You. Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment