Monday, April 14, 2014

Genesis 3:6-8

When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate.
 
Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loin coverings.
 
They heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden.
 
Then the LORD God called to the man, and said to him, “Where are you?”
 
He said, “I heard the sound of You in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid myself.”
 
And He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?”
 
The man said, “The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me from the tree, and I ate.”
 
Then the LORD God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?” And the woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”
 
 
When the Bible says that Eve saw that the tree was good for food, I am not sure if it means she understood it because it was - or that she saw in her own mind, apart from what was reality because of the deception.  But, either way, she made the choice to disobey God.
 
I think it is funny that we are no different from Adam and Eve.  I guess is it part of the sin nature to try to hide from God when we are walking the wrong direction.  How complicated that makes our life!  I always used that as a guide for my kids - if you feel as though you have to hide to do it, it is more than likely wrong - unless it is a surprise party.  We think that if we just don't go to church this week, we won't ever have to 'fess up to the sin in our lives and we can continue in it - because it looks good to us or feels good to us.  We think we can hide from God.  How silly!
 
Then, it gets funnier!  God calls Adam, not that He didn't know where Adam was, I am sure.  Adam comes to talk to God and, right off the bat, blames someone else for his error.  See, people are the same from the beginning until now!  So, Adam blames Eve - and God, if you look close.  "The woman YOU gave me"  I bet none of us parents have seen that little tactic before.  Ha ha ha!  Then Eve blames the serpent, which honestly does make sense, but doesn't show real responsibility for her own actions.  6 kids, I can't tell you how many times I have seen this little scene play out with different characters!
 
God knows from their actions that they have disobeyed.  I give Adam and Eve one compliment here - they didn't lie.  They didn't say, "no Lord".   Maybe sin just hadn't been around long enough yet.
 
 
Lord, please help us to see sin as sin and run TO You father for forgiveness and healing instead of hiding from You.  In Jesus name - Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment