Then God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years;
God made the two great lights, the greater light to govern the day, and the lesser light to govern the night; He made the stars also.
God placed them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth,
and to govern the day and the night, and to separate the light from the darkness; and God saw that it was good.
There was evening and there was morning, a fourth day.
Lord, please give us Your wisdom to discern Your word. Please reveal Your love and Your character to us as we seek to know You better. Thank You for prompting me to begin a total read-through of Your word. Thank You for Your love which is evident from the beginning to the end. Thank You for loving us so completely and so perfectly. Remind us Lord, to always act in love.
In Jesus Name amen
I have read Genesis several times, and I have never understood that God was the one who decided that days and years would be based on the sun and the moon. Somehow, that escaped me. I think when I read chapters at a time to "read through the Bible", I miss some important stuff. One reason I have decided to do things this way. Thanks for the folks that have given me encouragement and have answered back. Thanks for the several comments and input.
In history there was always a struggle between science and "the church". I know that for many years it was said, probably due, at least in part, to this verse, that the universe revolved around the earth. And scientists were excommunicated when they suggested that the planets, in fact, rotated around the sun. Now, science has decided, with evidence, that the planets rotate around the sun, not the earth. But, since it was all put in place by God, and it is clearly stated here that the sun, the moon, and the stars were placed by Him to light the earth, then I would say in that manner the universe revolves around the earth. As far as God is concerned, the universe was placed here to light the earth. While physically the planets may circle the sun, spiritually speaking - it all revolves around the earth. In fact, it is all exactly where God planned it to be.
discussion from a previous segment: Genesis 1:6-8 The second day
A thought from a friend: While studying with Precepts Bible Study, it was explained that the "waters above" were there, above the heavens in the beginning and that is where the waters came from for the great flood. Therefore, they are no longer there. They then formed the clouds etc. Because this idea came from a well-studied friend, I thought I'd share it with the class. Since I had always been taught that there had been no rain before Noah's time, I find this plausible. I guess we'll explore that further when we get to Noah.
No comments:
Post a Comment