Thursday, April 10, 2014

Genesis 2:18 and 21-25

Then the LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him."


So the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and he slept; then He took one of his ribs and closed up the flesh at that place.

The LORD God fashioned into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man.


The man said, "This is now bone of my bones, And flesh of my flesh; She shall be called  Woman, Because she was taken out of Man."

For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.

And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.


Just like I think it is notable that God breathed only into Adam the breath of life, I think it is notable that woman was made so differently.  It must be important.  We were taken from man to be given to man as a companion.  I do not think for a second that it takes away my importance or narrows my ability to serve or give into the kingdom.  I just think it defines some of our priorities.  Adam was made for a purpose, Eve was made for a purpose.

It is also important that before Eve had even been alive for very long, much less had a child, God was talking about wives and mothers.  It must be important.  I will enjoy watching through the whole scripture what women do.  I know certain stories through the Bible, certain verses that expand the role for women, but I am excited to read with that in mind this time.  I have never read it that way before.  We shall see what we find.

Also, I remember as a very young child reading this and wondering what was so important about telling us that they were naked and unashamed.  I am not sure I ever got the answer to that question, but there must be some purpose in it.

Lord, help us to discern Your word and find You in it.  Please help us to be a living sacrifice to Your will daily.  Help my heart to be willing to do Your will and not by own. 
In Jesus name
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment