Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Genesis 2:11-

The name of the first is Pishon; it flows around the whole land of Havilah, where there is gold.
The gold of that land is good; the bdellium and the onyx stone are there.

The name of the second river is Gihon; it flows around the whole land of Cush.

The name of the third river is Tigris; it flows east of Assyria. And the fourth river is the Euphrates.

Then the LORD God took the man and put him into the garden of Eden to cultivate it and keep it.


My first thought here is that I am surprised that there isn't some Indiana Jones movie aimed at seeking the location of Eden.  Totally Biblical thought of course, but what can I say.

Second, I think it interesting how early in history gold is important enough to mention.  I wish I knew what bdellium was. 

Next, I want a map.  I might google this after I am finished.

Ok, now seriously my lesson for myself today is:  Even in the perfection of the Garden of Eden, man had something to do.  Man was supposed to cultivate and keep up the Garden of Eden.  I know later, when they were banished, the ground was cursed and the work was increased - but even before, work was being done.  So, however guilty I occasionally feel because I ask my kids to work and do, I can relieve myself of that right now.  We have always had a job.  We were not designed solely for enjoying our relationship with God, we were also purposed to DO something.  I wasn't feeling terribly guilty, but this reassurance will help me to continue to build a good work ethic, or begin to build one - depending on which kid we are discussing.  he he.

Lord, please help us to discern Your word and see Your face in the things we read.  Please help me to continue and not quit.  I feel like this is important and I ask for Your help to continue.  I pray for each person who is helped by this, even if it just me.  I pray that continually I would give up myself to Your will and seek to show others Your mercy and grace and teach my children Your ways.  In Jesus name - amen

No comments:

Post a Comment