“Do not fear, Abram,
I am a shield to you;
Your reward shall be very great.”
2 Abram said, “O Lord GOD, what will You give me, since I am childless, and the heir of my house is Eliezer of Damascus?” 3 And Abram said, “Since You have given no offspring to me, one born in my house is my heir.” 4 Then behold, the word of the LORD came to him, saying, “This man will not be your heir; but one who will come forth from your own body, he shall be your heir.” 5 And He took him outside and said, “Now look toward the heavens, and count the stars, if you are able to count them.” And He said to him, “So shall your descendants be.” 6 Then he believed in the LORD; and He reckoned it to him as righteousness.
I LOVE to be allowed to peek into the prayers of the founding fathers of our faith. It is great!
Now, God initiates this conversation. He came to Abram in a vision saying . . .
1. Don't be afraid
2. I am your shield
3. You are getting a reward
I love to see Abram's response, because it is honest. He didn't pretty it all up, twist it around, try to make it churchy, he just laid his concern out before God.
God didn't chastise him for ungratefulness, He didn't say shut-up haven't I done enough to prove myself to you? He just let's him talk his heart.
Then, I see this lovely part of the character of God. I am far too excited about this, but it's so cool!
God hears his concerns and gives him a promise! He addresses his concerns and gives him a bonus. Not only am I going to bless you, I am going to give you an heir from your own body, then I am going to multiply that out to number more than the stars!
God doesn't think small. We do.
Abram believed God and it was counted unto him as righteousness.
God is not afraid of our honesty. He isn't afraid of our questions. And, he loves us in spite of the fact that we don't see as big as he does. Well, at least that is what I draw from that passage.
Thanks for studying with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment