Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Genesis 10:21-32


                              
        

Also to Shem, the father of all the children of Eber, and the older brother of Japheth, children were born. 22 The sons of Shem were Elam and Asshur and Arpachshad and Lud and Aram. 23 The sons of Aram were Uz and Hul and Gether and Mash. 24 Arpachshad became the father of Shelah; and Shelah became the father of Eber. 25 Two sons were born to Eber; the name of the one was Peleg, for in his days the earth was divided; and his brother’s name was Joktan. 26 Joktan became the father of Almodad and Sheleph and Hazarmaveth and Jerah 27 and Hadoram and Uzal and Diklah 28 and Obal and Abimael and Sheba 29 and Ophir and Havilah and Jobab; all these were the sons of Joktan. 30 Now their settlement extended from Mesha as you go toward Sephar, the hill country of the east. 31 These are the sons of Shem, according to their families, according to their languages, by their lands, according to their nations.
32 These are the families of the sons of Noah, according to their genealogies, by their nations; and out of these the nations were separated on the earth after the flood.
 
Well, we are back to it!  Sorry for the long break!
 
I feel like a kid returning to school after the Christmas break!  Kind of lost, kind of desiring to return to the learning, and a bit overwhelmed.
 
So, on we go.
 
When I used to read or hear the old Bible stories, I wondered why God let Sodom and Gamorrah go on so long, or why some of the places were named as they were.  The valley of Uz?  So, obviously that was before I read the Bible through.  Now, it occurs to me that God was patient with Sodom and Gamorrah.  I haven't figured out the time table yet to see how long it took from the point this division of land happened until Sodom and Gamorrah was so far gone.  But, I do know that God was there for the beginning.  (I know - duh!)  But really, it hadn't sunk fully in to me that God watched those people walk off the ark, multiply and then the descendents of Noah, who found His favor, walked away from Him AGAIN!   
 
I think I used to see the Old Testament God as vengeful and a bit mean.  (Don't excommunicate me now, but it is true)  But, the older I get, the more kids I have or watch, the more I see patience where I didn't see it before. 
 
I did need a pen and paper to see this passage a bit more clearly.  I might try to jot it down for you.
Either way, even in the begats there are things to learn.  God can speak through anything.  If the rocks can cry out His praise, then I am guessing the begats have something to teach us. 
 
 
Shem
     Elam
     Asshur (Hey Lindsay - here is an Asher!)
     Arpachshad
              Shelah
                    Eber
                          Peleg - because in his days the earth was divided
                          Joktan
                                a big ole list of kids!
 
I find it interesting that this passage opens with Shem, the father of all the children of Eber.  Eber is 3 generations down!  I wonder why he's the important one.  The one worth mentioning. 
 
Not many answers but good things to think about.  We'll see in the coming chapters how many questions get answered. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment