4 So Abram went forth as the LORD had spoken to him; and Lot went with him. Now Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran. 5 Abram took Sarai his wife and Lot his nephew, and all their possessions which they had accumulated, and the persons which they had acquired in Haran, and they set out for the land of Canaan; thus they came to the land of Canaan. 6 Abram passed through the land as far as the site of Shechem, to the oak of Moreh. Now the Canaanite was then in the land. 7 The LORD appeared to Abram and said, “To your descendants I will give this land.” So he built an altar there to the LORD who had appeared to him. 8 Then he proceeded from there to the mountain on the east of Bethel, and pitched his tent, with Bethel on the west and Ai on the east; and there he built an altar to the LORD and called upon the name of the LORD. 9 Abram journeyed on, continuing toward the Negev.
I might be 50 when I get this study done, but I'm going to do it!
So, after the promise from God to Abram, Abram sets out to obey God and bravely takes up all he owns and sets out. Now, I'm not sure if I think of 75 as old anymore, but it is on the older side for our lives. You know old enough to know that you could trust God, but maybe too old to want to uproot and shuffle everything in life and start wandering.
But, another way to look at it is - If you live to be 900, 75 kind of equals 20. There's ton loads of research to back up that analogy! ha ha ha ha ha ha
So, I don't know which impresses me more, an older man who is willing to pick up all that he has accumulated and risk it on the open road or a 20 year old who does what God asks him to do! (I have raised four children to this point so far).
Either way, it is impressive. He took who God told him and started out. I think I will ask a pastor friend of mine if he has a well researched map that shows this journey. The one I found on internet is okay but not as informative as I'd like and I'm not sure of the research. Either way. He headed out.
From this map I can find, it is already a ways from the ark (or where they think it may be) to Haran and Ur. Nothing was really said about those wanderings. I know that the reason we hear about this journey is that it is made in obedience to God.
Those are the journeys that count - the ones that are made in obedience to God. Those are the journeys that make the difference.
Lord, please help us be instantly obedient to the prompting of the Holy Spirit. Please help us to be instantly obedient to Your will. Please help us to clearly discern Your word and Your voice in our lives.
In Jesus name - amen
No comments:
Post a Comment