Saturday, March 29, 2014

Why?

While I have read through the Bible before, I wanted to do it as an adult, praying, and at my own pace.  I am not a consistent person by nature, so daily just doesn't happen.  Also, I didn't want to be set into a prescribed volume of reading because I want to study it and try to understand.  I can't do that 5 chapters at a time.  I just want to rush through and get it done.  So, I am doing this slowly.  I don't know how long it will take, but I feel that I will understand God better if I fully read His word, in context, desiring to understand him better. 

I have not been to seminary.  Any insight is seriously just me reading hopefully under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.  I do have a few well educated friends who help me through questions, but they get the email after I have already posted it.  So, there may be comments after that clarify something I might have misunderstood. 

I just invite you to read through with me if you would like.

4 comments:

  1. There is a lot to learn about the nature of God by studying the Bible this way. My theory is that many people have emotional and psychological problems because they have a skewed view of the nature of God. We have been given a lot about the love and mercy and grace of God, but not so much about His justice. It is hard to correctly understand God's mercy until we have a good picture of His justice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement! There are days I definitely need it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wanted to give you another approach to studying scripture. This is what my youth pastor that I serve under taught me, and it works amazingly. It's called the SOAP method.

    S: scripture
    O: observation
    A: application (how that scripture applies in your life)
    P: pray (pray over that specific scripture and its application in your life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, that is a good framework! I'll try that. It won't show up here for a few chapters because I am 13 chapters ahead at home. But, it will show up!

    ReplyDelete