Saturday, March 29, 2014

Genesis 1:1

Genesis 1 - New American Standard Bible

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Well, this is rather self-explanatory isn't it.  Seems like it anyway.  But, I think it is important that this is the very first line of scripture.  God created the heavens and the earth.  It didn't happen by chance, it didn't exist and then we made God up to suit our own purposes.  In the beginning was GOD.  He did the creating. 

The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was  moving over the surface of the waters.

I have not been to seminary, so my thoughts on this are simpleish.  We may not have had the gift of the Holy Spirit until after Jesus went back to heaven, but the Spirit was there from the beginning.  The earth had no form, but there were waters.  I find that interesting and hard to comprehend.  Scripture does not tell us how long the earth was formless and void.  It doesn't tell us how long God moved over the surface of the waters before he decided to being the 6 day transformation.  Because I think any error of understanding is with us and never with God, if the earth really "tests out" at billions of years, this is how I think that is possible while still knowing that God was the creator and Genesis is true.  Just my personal attempt to know and believe scripture and figure out how science fits into that.  Obviously not a seriously educated observation.

Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.

 God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness.

 God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.

I had a science teacher once who suggested that a day is like a thousand years to God so He may have created the world over many thousands of years.  I say this verse eliminates that possibility.  evening and there was morning, one day.  God speaks and things happen.  It is comforting to know that if God really wants to do something, all He has to do it speak it.  If He chooses for the storm to stop - it does.  He is that powerful.  Knowing that He is that powerful and He loves me is very comforting and calms my fears when I remember it.  How cool it that.  My God can speak the world into existence! 


I told you this would be a slow process.  This is all I can do today.  One day at a time, and who knows what we will learn.  Besides, I think that is a good thought to stop on.  My God can speak the world into existence!

Love y'all

Please Lord, guide us with Your wisdom as we seek You through Your word.  Please let us see the whole picture and see Your love through it all.  Please help us to read with the purpose of learning more about the one who loves us so much.  Please help us to be seeking You in our hearts and hearing Your voice.  I will try Lord to continue this until I am through Your word how ever long that takes.  Please help me, You know my weakness.  I think it is funny when You have me do something YOu know I am weak in.  I know it is You and only You.  You.

In Jesus Name
amen

No comments:

Post a Comment