Friday, October 10, 2014

Genesis 17:15-22 God's promise of Isaac

 Then God said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall be her name. 16 I will bless her, and indeed I will give you a son by her. Then I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her.” 17 Then Abraham fell on his face and laughed, and said in his heart, “Will a child be born to a man one hundred years old? And will Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear a child?18 And Abraham said to God, “Oh that Ishmael might live before You!” 19 But God said, “No, but Sarah your wife will bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac; and I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him. 20 As for Ishmael, I have heard you; behold, I will bless him, and will make him fruitful and will multiply him exceedingly. He shall become the father of twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation. 21 But My covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you at this season next year.” 22 When He finished talking with him, God went up from Abraham.


This has conveniently corresponded to my grandson's homeschool lesson.  How difficult to teach the precepts of God to a 6 year old.  But, I find that being taught as a young child, I still remember the story in young child terms.  Reading again for myself as an adult helps me learn more of the character of God.  And, that is the point of this exercise.  Understanding this God whom I serve as fully as possible without someone trying to pull me to one camp or another. 


Observe:  God changes Sarai's name to Sarah
                   He promises to bless her and give Abraham a son through Sarah
                  He tells them that Kings will come through her

                   Abraham laughs at the thought of being a parent at such an old age
                   Abraham tries to apply people-logic.  God must have meant through Ishmael
                   God corrects Abraham and makes it clear
                   God hears Abraham's desire for Ishmael to be blessed and answers his concern
                    God re-states that His covenant will be with Isaac
                   God is specific about when Sarah will deliver

I love that God is again clear in what He is saying to Abraham.  I love that God shows his concern toward Abraham in dealing with Ishmael.  I love that He is still firm about what His plan is.

Lord, help us to hear Your instruction, Your guidance, Your words to us.  Thank You for rising up mighty men of God to teach us more about You.  Thank You for Your word and for giving us what we need to have to learn about You.
Help us to be forever changed by You, walking according to Your Spirit, doing Your will.
In Jesus Name - amen

No comments:

Post a Comment