Thursday, August 7, 2014

Genesis 16:11-16 An Angel appears to Hagar

The angel of the LORD said to her further,
“Behold, you are with child,
And you will bear a son;
And you shall call his name Ishmael,
Because the LORD has given heed to your affliction.
12 “He will be a wild donkey of a man,
His hand will be against everyone,
And everyone’s hand will be against him;
And he will live to the east of all his brothers.”
13 Then she called the name of the LORD who spoke to her, “You are a God who sees”; for she said, “Have I even remained alive here after seeing Him?” 14 Therefore the well was called Beer-lahai-roi; behold, it is between Kadesh and Bered.
15 So Hagar bore Abram a son; and Abram called the name of his son, whom Hagar bore, Ishmael. 16 Abram was eighty-six years old when Hagar bore Ishmael to him
 
Well, this is a loaded bit of scripture!
 
How impressive this angel must have been if Hagar thought she had seen "Him". 
 
If I am being honest, and I usually am, this would have troubled me.  I'm not sure I would have come away thinking - "awesome!"  He is going to fight a lot!
 
I would also like to know what Beer-lahai-roi means.  I may look that up in a bit.
 
On the other hand, the angel of the Lord appearing to me would clearly remind me that God had heard my cry to him, whatever the message was. 
 
So, I know that people equate Ishmael with the origin of the Arab nation.  I will keep reading.  I don't know if that is universally accepted or just something I have been told.  I will see what continues in scripture.  Interesting. 
 
How brave Hagar must have needed to be to go back to the house of her mistress who had just sent her away.  How humbling to go back, submit to her authority, and stay throughout the rest of that pregnancy. 
 
Soap operas and TV drama has nothing on old testament saga
It might require a bit more thinking to see the implications of each verse in the story, but wow!
 
note:  well of the living one who sees me - translation thanks Deana!

No comments:

Post a Comment